So the past 24 hours have been horrible and wonderful. Dillan is such a beautiful baby and there is nothing better then holding him in our arms and watching him make his old man faces, listen to his little noises. Except for what I explain below, he is absolutely perfect and just so handsome.
since dillan's birth, he has had about 8 "episodes" of stopping breathing. he'll turn pale, then blue and get very stiff and still. after anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds, he'll start to screech and turn very deep red/purple. after a few seconds of that, he returns to a completely beautiful color and falls blissfully asleep. as you can image, this is a scary thing to witness.
our wonderful Pediatrician, Dr. Dianna Diallo, took these episodes very seriously and had us bring Dillan to the nursery for monitoring around 2:30 pm yesterday. He has had at least episodes while in the nursery, the worst of which required oxygen to bring him out of. They started a round of testing (so far all test results have come back normal) to rule out some of the more serious possibilities.
our hospital is only able to provide level 1 NICU treatment and would not be able to maintain his breathing over a long period of time if he really stops breathing. So Dr. Diallo sent him up to UCSF. Dillan and Luke left by helicopter just after midnight. My dad followed them up. Jamie and Luke's aunt and uncle, John and Carol, will meet them at the hospital later this morning. Dillan will be there at least 48 hours.
At UCSF, Dillan will be treated by some of the best specialist in the world and have unlimited access to some of the best testing possible. at best, one of his systems (like this nervous system) is immature and he'll naturally grow out of it. Other possibilities include infection, seizures or God only knows what else.
we are so scared and completely exhausted and overwhelmed and stressed out. But we are so very grateful for how much support we have received and how plentiful God has been in providing for us all. We are truly blessed and for such a horrible situation, things couldn't be better.
Please continue to pray for us and share this prayer request with anyone you like. Until things settle down, we are still going to decline visitors and phone calls, mostly so we can conserve our energies for when Dillan needs us.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
hey spences, we're praying. Our friends experienced this same situation with their daughter Chloe after birth. She's now a very healthy and active 1 1/2 yr. old! Get lots of rest and know you are in our prayers. Love us sparks
also if you'd like to contact our friends sometime - let me know and I'll send along their contact info. I know they would be willing to chat with you and pray for the specifics with you.
Andy had stop breathing episodes too. They truly are terrifying. We are praying and fasting for you and Dillan and Luke.
Praying for all of you!!! Get some rest and I'll call you a little later. If you need anything just let me know. Love you.
Colin and I are praying for all three of you! Dillan is truly blessed to have such wonderful parents. Sending all our love (wish we were closer and able to help more :( )
- Lydia and Colin
oh, lisa, i can't even imagine! i'm praying for you that everything works itself out and dillan's nervous system just needs a little more time to mature! (((HUGS))) and prayers out to CA...
You and your beautiful son are in my prayers.
Lisa- I was moved by your strength this morning. I'm sure Luke mirrors that as well. Continuing to trust in the power of prayer. Looking forward to a praise update soon. I spoke w/ Dr.Jill Airola after leaving you this morning. She too is praying and looks forward to meeting you 3 soon. Any time day/night we are available. --Rachel made you a card and I forgot to bring it in!
I'm praying for you all. It's great to hear the update that things seem to be well! I've been thinking about you guys constantly!
Post a Comment